GENERATION UK PROGRAMME (online)
BRITISH COUNCIL – GENERATION UK PROGRAMME (online) *
Generation UK was launched by the British Council in 2013 to help young UK nationals increase their employability, enhance their long-term job prospects, and develop a global mindset through study and work experience opportunities in China. By encouraging UK students and recent graduates to engage with China, Generation UK aims to bring young people from both countries closer together, increase mutual understanding, and pave the way to lasting links and partnerships between the UK and China.
In 2022, Virtual Internships are excited to be partnering with CRCC Asia and the British Council to offer students and recent graduates the opportunity to complete a Virtual Internships Programme (start date in July 2022) with host companies based in China.
The programme offers 8-week online internship placements with over 250 companies based in one of the three largest cities in China: Beijing, Shanghai, and Shenzhen. These companies are excited to host UK students and recent graduates who are interested in acquiring valuable skills and work experience to help take the next step in their career!
The Generation UK programme (online) is supported by the Department for Education, the Scottish Government, and the Welsh Government.
*EXTENDED DEADLINE: The final deadline to submit the full application is Sunday, October 2nd, 2022 (23:39). All applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we suggest completing your application ASAP. These internships will start on the following date: October 31st, 2022.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
WHAT IS INCLUDED?
Successful candidates will participate in the British Council funded programme* that includes:
- 8-week (30 hours per week) guaranteed virtual internship
- Access to CareerBridge (Virtual Internships’ online professional development curriculum)
- China-specific events which may include:
- Cultural activities and insights
- China business seminars
- 2 dedicated professional development coaching calls
- Invitation to a weekly Slack chat with all other virtual interns
- A project and required submission (China Challenge)
- An introduction to Mandarin Chinese language
*This is a fully-funded programme and there is no cost to students. Please be aware that there is a £50 refundable deposit. You will need to pay this to secure your place and this will be returned to you on completion of the programme.
See below for programme start dates. Applicants should be aware that although the internship is 8 weeks long, there is a requirement to engage with the programme before the internship start date and during the placement process. There is also a requirement to complete an evaluation, your final coaching call, and submission of the China Challenge to fully complete the programme.
|Available Start Dates (Internship Start Dates)|
|Application Window Closes (23:59 BST)||2 OCT|
|Application Confirmations and Programme Deposit Payments (Friday 23:59)||10 OCT|
|Onboarding Webinar (Monday)||3 OCT|
|Placement Process Starts (w/c Monday)||3 OCT|
|Internship Start Date (Monday)||31 OCT|
|Internship Ends (Friday)||23 DEC|
|Evaluations, Post-Programme Skills Assessment and China Challenge Hand-In (by Friday)||6 JAN|
- Flexibility to work remotely from home
- Gain invaluable work experience in your career field of interest
- Improve your employability skills
- Fully-funded internship sponsored by the British Council
- Opportunity to enhance your cultural awareness of China
ELIGIBILITY FOR THE PROGRAMME
To be eligible to apply for the British Council Generation UK funding, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be currently enrolled as an undergraduate or postgraduate student at a UK university, or have graduated from one within the past two years
- Be a UK passport holder if studying in England or Wales
- Be a UK or EU passport holder if studying in Scotland
- Have achieved, or be on track to achieve, a 2:1 degree
- Meet our student finance eligibility criteria
- Not be in receipt of any other Generation UK funding
- Not previously undertaken a Generation UK internship, or taken part in a Generation UK scholarship programme
Applicants must complete the following four steps to be considered for the programme:
- Complete the registration form below
- You’ll then receive an email with instructions to complete a written application form which includes 2 questions (250 words) about (a) your motivation for joining the programme and (b) your UK-China knowledge
- You’ll be required to upload all required supporting documentation including:
- An up-to-date CV
- A copy of your most recent transcript or degree certificate
- Evidence of your financial eligibility
- A recommendation letter from your university
- A copy of your UK passport (or EU passport if studying in Scotland)
- Finally, you’ll be required to answer 3 questions via a short video interview process (you should take 1-2 minutes to answer each question)
Applications are open for those who are studying or who have graduated from a University in Scotland or Wales only.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are an applicant from an English University, applications are not currently being considered but may open shortly. If you are interested in joining the program, register for updates here.
If you have reviewed the eligibility criteria and are interested in applying for the programme, please complete the short registration form below:
"*" indicates required fields
Generation UK – China Internship Summer 2022