2020 A-Level Support Scholarship
(Applications are now closed)
It’s hard to think of a year which has caused more disruption to higher education than 2020. On Thursday 13th August, many A-level students in the UK were awarded exam results without being allowed to sit the exams. This led to a plethora of students being awarded grades that do not reflect their academic ability. Undoubtedly the biggest potential consequence is that many students may be denied a place at their first choice university or denied a place on their chosen course.
Everyone at Virtual Internships is deeply saddened to see aspiring students have their futures’ impacted through no fault of their own. We want to help. We’re creating 5 new scholarships for A-level students who have had their grades unfairly downgraded.
5 Scholarships up for Grabs
Our programme gives you complete control of your internship placement. You choose the career field you’ll be working in, you choose the duration of your internship, and you choose your start date.
We hope that completing a virtual internship will go someway to helping you gain the relevant career experience you need to accomplish your goals in the wake of the A-level grading disappointment.
You must meet at least one of the below criteria:
- Your UCAS predicted grades are higher than your CAG (Centre Assessed Grade)
- You applied for university and received conditional offers but were not accepted by any university due to your CAG being lower than the course admissions requirements
- You accepted a place at a university that was not your first choice before the government’s U-turn decision to accept CAGs on 17th August 2020
- You were not accepted onto a course by your first choice university, despite having met the admissions requirements with your CAG, due to the course being overcrowded
In addition, you must meet all of the following:
- You must have been awarded your initial A-level grades on 13th August 2020 (or 4th August if in Scotland) from a UK based academic institution
- You must be over 18 years old to participate on the internship program
Applications for all 5 Scholarships will officially open August 20th 2020 at 10:00 AM BST and close at 11:59 PM BST on 20th September 2020.
To apply you will need to complete our application form which consists of questions about your A-level grades, professional aspiration, and internship requirements. After completing the application form all applicants will be asked to complete a one minute long elevator pitch to tell us why they deserve the scholarship and what it would help them to accomplish. The elevator pitch will be submitted as a one-way video interview. Tips on how to conduct a successful elevator pitch can be found here.
All completed applications will be reviewed by at least 2 internal scholarship judges. Scholarships will be awarded based on the criteria set out above and the quality of their elevator pitch. Scholarship applications will be reviewed in the following timeline:
- September 21st-24th 2020 – Application Review
- September 28th 2020 – Scholarship Winners Announced
All scholarship winners will be officially informed by email or telephone before 12pm BST September 28th, 2020. Check back here after September 28th, to see the official list of scholarship recipients.
All winners will be able to start their internship from 5th October 2020 onwards.